Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Surprise... a post... a brief thought

I was thinking about the disciples response to Jesus when he said, "I say to you, one of you will betray Me." (Mt. 26:21) We all make Judas out to be the bad guy, and obviously he was. But it is interesting that all of the disciples began saying, "Lord, is it I?" I have thought about this before but a new thought I had today was that it appears that they had come to the point that they knew Jesus knew them better than they knew themselves. They didn't respond to Jesus statement with a chorus of "No!" and "It would never be me!" They knew that Jesus spoke the truth even though it did not align with their idea of what they expected to happen. But more importantly, they trusted His word more than they trusted their own confidence in themselves. If I had of been there, I would have said, "surely, Lord, not me... now which of you guys is the hypocrite?" But these guys had hung out with Jesus long enough to get past those games that I like to play-- they knew Jesus knew everything. They knew he knew the deceit, deception and doubt in their minds and they didn't trust in their own facade. I believe they hoped it wasn't them he was talking about, but they knew Jesus well enough to know that He knew.

So, for me that means--- when it comes to my relationship with God, I need to be honest with him. When it comes to the future, I need to trust Him that he knows best. I don't know what tomorrow will bring-- He does. That is a source of confidence and hope.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Dennis you are still here!
Love
ME

Anonymous said...

hi Kid, I still check everyday, good thoughts, its like when the preacher says that suchandsuch percent of you will do something wrong statistically, we rarely see ourselves in that statistic, we're all fallable. And I definitely understand the part about not knowing tomorrow!!
Bee

Sabrina said...

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the challenging "thought for the week".
It is hard to really grasp that God knows. We have no secrets no control over any part of our lives at all.

Dennis and Valerie said...

I almost fell off my chair to see that you blogged, Buddy. But then you would have come running in here to see what was the matter and it would have been a big commotion.

Good thoughts. Love you.

Ron Easton for Dads UnLimited said...

HI Dennis, its kinda like I was saying a few posts ago on my blog about checking my motives etc, I know that I'm filthy, but I don't want to think about it... "let a man examine himself" should only be done once every couple decades, 2 Ron 3:84

JB said...

I enjoyed the alliteration. "...doubt, deception, deceit..." *sigh* No one uses these simple literary devices anymore.